The Golf Thread

Funny, other sports topics, entertainment, world, etc.
buckeye
Madden Cover

The Golf Thread

Postby buckeye » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:19 pm

I moved this here so as not to muck up other topics.

Ice wrote:
Kybone wrote:
Ice wrote:
buckeye wrote:
Ice wrote:Outside of golf, fantasy football and scouting is a passion of mine.

Use to scout baseball players as well but finally gave that up.

To fit that with any other time consuming hobby is amazing.

On a quick detour off topic, IIRC, you are in the Dallas area. If so, any recommendations on golf courses in the area?

In Houston area but played most courses in Dallas in my younger years. Mostly the clubs as my best friend was the superintendent at Colonial in Fort Worth.

If you are in Dallas I can find a few. I know there is a good track in Allen, TX. Palmer design and challenging greens, Twin Creeks, I believe but haven't played it in years. The Cowboy Club is a course I have heard great things about but haven't played it.

Stonebriar country club in Frisco / McKinney area has one of their courses that the public can play. It is a Fazio design and quite challenging. More of a low handicapper type course. I use to play Stonebriar a lot 15-20 years ago when I was a competitive player.

Wait, the two of you are in Texas? I grew up in DFW and live in Dallas. Stronebriar and Colonial are two great courses.

My buddies and I normally go for the mid-range options that are $75 or less a round. Bear Creek, Prairie Lakes, Ironhorse, and Duck Creek are some of the ones we frequent.

In Houston, but get to Dallas all the time as I have lots of family there.

I see a lunch or happy hour in our futures

We ended up booking Stevens Park for Saturday and Cowboys Golf Club for Sunday. Should be fun. I'll let you know how they were.

Any favorite between Lockhart BBQ and Pecan Lodge?

Kybone
Pro Bowler

Re: The Golf Thread

Postby Kybone » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:17 am

Lockhart is one of my favorites. You have to get the habanero mac n cheese when you go. The ribs and brisket are where it's at. The line at Pecan Lodge is always long and they tend to run out of meat around 1 or 2, so get there early if you're going to go.

Also while y'all are out in Grapevine at Cowboys GC, check out "Meat U Anywhere BBQ" - really small joint, but the BBQ is phenomenal.

What dates are you going to be in Dallas / Fort Worth for?

buckeye
Madden Cover

Postby buckeye » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:08 pm

Thanks. Labor Day weekend for the Bama/Usc game.

Breakfast tacos look good.

the_captain
Writer

Postby the_captain » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:31 am

If I still golfed...or had time...or didn't work weekends...or had money... lol

buckeye
Madden Cover

Postby buckeye » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:23 pm

Kybone wrote:Lockhart is one of my favorites. You have to get the habanero mac n cheese when you go. The ribs and brisket are where it's at. The line at Pecan Lodge is always long and they tend to run out of meat around 1 or 2, so get there early if you're going to go.

Also while y'all are out in Grapevine at Cowboys GC, check out "Meat U Anywhere BBQ" - really small joint, but the BBQ is phenomenal.

What dates are you going to be in Dallas / Fort Worth for?

We ended up playing Tenison (Highlands) and Cowboy Club. We played Tenison at 7:00 Am and got around in 3 hours. We weren't expecting much but the course was in great shape. Cowboy Club was great. Both, golf and food were great.If you haven't gone, you ought to go. With the all-inclusive, if you played on a Sunday, you could eat breakfast, play golf, eat lunch, watch football, drink beer, and eat dinner. It would be a great day.

Went to lockhart this morning before leaving. As you said, ribs and brisket were great. Also, pecan Lodge line was around the corner on Saturday AM before opening (skipped it). Dallas was a great city. I'd definitely go back.

ETA: Forgot to add, Anthony Munoz was there the day we played. He was likely in town for the USC shellacking. He teed off about 40 minutes after us. We saw him on the course a few times but never got close enough to harass him for a picture.

Kybone
Pro Bowler

Postby Kybone » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:55 pm

Haha, captain, you have to make time!

Buckeye, glad to hear that! We'll have to hit Cowboys sometime soon. That sounds like a fine Sunday.
We have a round booked for tomorrow at Twin Wells. It's an old course that's been in Irving forever, and apparently they're shutting it down.

Too cool about Munoz. He actually has a Ted Talk if you want to check it out (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YGoPGw_c1o)

buckeye
Madden Cover

Postby buckeye » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:38 pm

Played in the annual Member Guest tournament for the 23rd time with my Dad at my club. This year, we had as guests an ex NFL player, Brian Kozlowski, and Archie Griffin. Didn't speak to Kozlowski much but Archie was pretty cool. Pretty awesome for a couple of Buckeye fans.

Return to “Non-FF Talk”