Community Bio's - Your Turn!

General Dynasty Discussion
Rich55112
Cheerleader

Re: Community Bio's - Your Turn!

Postby Rich55112 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:16 pm

First of all, I have played fantasy football starting in the mid 1980s, about the time the books just started coming out regarding how to play. In the mid 80s, I was in high school and started running fantasy leagues back then. That was when we had to wait for the next day’s newspaper to come out and then do all the stats. Would any of you even remember how it was back then? How many of you weren’t even born yet? (I graduated in 1986). I loved being the commissioner and figuring out who won.

I commissioned leagues as I went through college and started to think about keeper leagues at that time. There wasn’t any books on how to run keeper league (or as I called them back then, Life Long Leagues). So, I wrote a book. A bad book. But at the time I didn’t think it was so bad (I attached a picture) but hindsight is 20/20. Self published it. Found a company to send them out to book stores. Then I started thinking about how I could promote the book. At this time I graduated from the University of Minnesota from Mortuary Science (yes, I am a funeral director) in 1991.

I heard about cable access and thought that was going to be a great way to promote my book. I found a couple of guys from High School that could talk the talk and walk the walk. The format was an hour long live call in show. I didn’t know how well it was going to go. The first show, we had callers take up about a half and hour. After that, each and every show had callers the whole hour. Blew our minds, especially once we started getting recognized out in public (which happened a few times, not like we were getting swarmed with fans). We also had local sports guys on the show, including the guy that started the craze, Cliff Sharpentier (I think I misspelled his name, but I know I am close). We also had a guy who started the very 1st weekly national magazine regarding fantasy football, Paul Charchian (Charch now owns and runs Leaguesafe and is on the local sports radio station)

Before the start of the show, I started a keeper league and used that league as an example in my book.

At the same time, I ended up marrying a woman who had 3 kids from a previous marriage and started my own business. In 3 years, my business started to take too much of my time (I was on call 24/7) and we added 2 more kids to our family. I had to quit the show after 3 years (The show continued 3 years after I left). It wasn’t long after that I couldn’t find time to run my keeper league any more. I ended up giving up the league to one of the owners and left.

That all happened in the early to mid 90s. Now speed up to 2010…..

Went through a divorce and it wasn’t long until I was looking to do the things in my life that made me happy in the past, and you guessed it, starting playing fantasy football again. I went to Facebook and posted a message that I was looking for a league. Someone contacted me and invited me to play in their keeper league. I agreed and at the following draft I discovered that the league I just joined is the keeper league I started in 1992. There was 2 guys there that played in this league since it’s very first season.

Soon I discovered a couple of dynasty league podcasts and started listening. I then joined a couple free leagues online. One thing I missed about playing was that I was not a commissioner. I loved running leagues back then and I thrilled that I am getting back into being a commissioner. I love talking to everyone and making decisions on the fly if I need too. In fact, I have used the forums on various websites to help start another dynasty league involving only people from the Minneapolis and St. Paul areas. One thing we are doing there is putting money, as a league, to purchase a high end wrestling style belt for the Fantasy Bowl winner to wear at get togethers.

Burgandy
Admin

Postby Burgandy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:14 am

Rich55112 wrote:First of all, I have played fantasy football starting in the mid 1980s, about the time the books just started coming out regarding how to play. In the mid 80s, I was in high school and started running fantasy leagues back then. That was when we had to wait for the next day’s newspaper to come out and then do all the stats. Would any of you even remember how it was back then? How many of you weren’t even born yet? (I graduated in 1986). I loved being the commissioner and figuring out who won.

I commissioned leagues as I went through college and started to think about keeper leagues at that time. There wasn’t any books on how to run keeper league (or as I called them back then, Life Long Leagues). So, I wrote a book. A bad book. But at the time I didn’t think it was so bad (I attached a picture) but hindsight is 20/20. Self published it. Found a company to send them out to book stores. Then I started thinking about how I could promote the book. At this time I graduated from the University of Minnesota from Mortuary Science (yes, I am a funeral director) in 1991.

I heard about cable access and thought that was going to be a great way to promote my book. I found a couple of guys from High School that could talk the talk and walk the walk. The format was an hour long live call in show. I didn’t know how well it was going to go. The first show, we had callers take up about a half and hour. After that, each and every show had callers the whole hour. Blew our minds, especially once we started getting recognized out in public (which happened a few times, not like we were getting swarmed with fans). We also had local sports guys on the show, including the guy that started the craze, Cliff Sharpentier (I think I misspelled his name, but I know I am close). We also had a guy who started the very 1st weekly national magazine regarding fantasy football, Paul Charchian (Charch now owns and runs Leaguesafe and is on the local sports radio station)

Before the start of the show, I started a keeper league and used that league as an example in my book.

At the same time, I ended up marrying a woman who had 3 kids from a previous marriage and started my own business. In 3 years, my business started to take too much of my time (I was on call 24/7) and we added 2 more kids to our family. I had to quit the show after 3 years (The show continued 3 years after I left). It wasn’t long after that I couldn’t find time to run my keeper league any more. I ended up giving up the league to one of the owners and left.

That all happened in the early to mid 90s. Now speed up to 2010…..

Went through a divorce and it wasn’t long until I was looking to do the things in my life that made me happy in the past, and you guessed it, starting playing fantasy football again. I went to Facebook and posted a message that I was looking for a league. Someone contacted me and invited me to play in their keeper league. I agreed and at the following draft I discovered that the league I just joined is the keeper league I started in 1992. There was 2 guys there that played in this league since it’s very first season.

Soon I discovered a couple of dynasty league podcasts and started listening. I then joined a couple free leagues online. One thing I missed about playing was that I was not a commissioner. I loved running leagues back then and I thrilled that I am getting back into being a commissioner. I love talking to everyone and making decisions on the fly if I need too. In fact, I have used the forums on various websites to help start another dynasty league involving only people from the Minneapolis and St. Paul areas. One thing we are doing there is putting money, as a league, to purchase a high end wrestling style belt for the Fantasy Bowl winner to wear at get togethers.

What a bio Rich. Very cool, minus the divorce and all but it's cool that you have been able to get back into a hobby that has brought you so much fun and happiness. Welcome to the Warehouse community.
Owner/ Senior Writer at- http://www.dynastyfootballwarehouse.com
Follow my on twitter at @Dan_DFW
Check out DFW on Facebook

sixshooter

Postby sixshooter » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:47 am

No doubt that is very awesome Rich! I also graduated from High School in '86 but didn't start playing FFB until '95 and have not stopped as I am hooked!!! FFB has ruined my life as my FFB players now take priority over my favorite team (Broncos) winning.....luckily I got the best of both worlds last year even though the Broncos didn't win it all!!

And yes, I do remember the days before the internet when we tracked the teams on an excel spreadsheet and set lineups by writing them on paper and turning them in to the commish and we performed adds/drops/trades by writing them down as well. Once in a while a voice message or email for a last minute lineup change was allowed as long as it was time stamped!!!

And then came the internet......gotta luv technology right? Except when it's not working........
DFW48 = Wild Horses

Fish Fear Me!

Jaysports
Admin

Postby Jaysports » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:58 am

Welcome Rich55112, glad to see you have come full circle with your true love......Fantasy Football. ;)

Glad to have you around here chatting up some dynasty talk!!!
Just one of the Guys

DFW48 - Starters

Palmer (Dalton)
AP, Freeman (Zeke)
Julio, A.Brown, Hopkins, K.Allen (Janis)
Reed (Fleener)

Founder / CEO
Twitter @Jaysports_DFW
Follow DFW on Facebook
You can friend me on Facebook
www.dynastyfootballwarehouse.com

FantasyMindsUnited
Cheerleader

Postby FantasyMindsUnited » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:47 pm

Hey guys,

I have been reading on this site for almost two years now and have just been inspired to create a login and make an intro after reading and learning so much and wanting a chance to thank all the people who put so much hard work into such a great thing.... Anyways, back to me.

My name is Clark and I live in the North Metro Twin Cities Minnesota. Proud Viking fan, thick and thin. Been playing FF for 8 years now and also am active in Fantasy Hockey. Only take part in one dynasty league but it is intense and I love it more than any of my redraft leagues by multiples. The one I play in is 14 team 40 man roster with 6 starter IDP and formation options, scoring favors TE a little bit. And my team is thin at that position. (Thanks Dustin Keller, Dennis Pitta, and Aaron Hernandez) lol.... Anyways... Pray for my draft class... Lol

I have two young crumbsnatchers with a third due shortly into 2015. They are the only thing I love more than FF. (Their mother is a distant 3rd) I work in sales of industrial supply with the metal market. It has it's good and it's bad, but it keeps the lights on and I show a talent at it. Not an easy racket though.... If I could find a millionaire to pay me to draft for him, or be any kind of assistant to the show "The Walking Dead" I would leave my job in a snap. Not much else to say really. I used to make hip-hop "music" with some of my friends but growing up has put that old passion to bed. Here's to all of you at DFW, thanks for making me a better owner.

Burgandy
Admin

Postby Burgandy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:07 pm

My name is Clark and I live in the North Metro Twin Cities Minnesota. Proud Viking fan, thick and thin.

Welcome Clark. :text-welcomeconfetti: Thanks for taking the time to let us get to know you a bit. I also live in the North Metro of the Twin Cities. May I ask which suburb?

I have two young crumbsnatchers with a third due shortly into 2015. They are the only thing I love more than FF. (Their mother is a distant 3rd)

LOL. I read this to my wife and fortunately she chuckled. Congrats on the growing family and we truly appreciate your appreciation for our efforts. The great thing about DFW is that it is a true community. It wouldn't be what it is, if it wasn't for contributing members. All these FF-geeks are family. :D

FantasyMindsUnited
Cheerleader

Postby FantasyMindsUnited » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:57 am

I live in Hugo. Just south of Forest Lake. There is a spot called the Blue Heron off 14 that I am known to get a beer and a Cuban sandwich at once in a while. If you are ever in town up my way, let me know.
(Glad your wife has a better sense of humor than mine)

Burgandy
Admin

Postby Burgandy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:14 am

Pass by it often. We live in Andover and my Dad lives in Marine on St Croix so we get close to Hugo often. Will do.

daVincis Brush
Waterboy

Postby daVincis Brush » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:10 am

Burgandy wrote:Pass by it often. We live in Andover and my Dad lives in Marine on St Croix so we get close to Hugo often.

Anoka reporting in. Small world.

Burgandy
Admin

Postby Burgandy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:38 pm

daVincis Brush wrote:
Burgandy wrote:Pass by it often. We live in Andover and my Dad lives in Marine on St Croix so we get close to Hugo often.

Anoka reporting in. Small world.

Nice. There may be a DFW draft party in the works for the MN folks so stay tuned.

Timothyfurl
Cheerleader

Postby Timothyfurl » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:35 pm

I envy your enthusiasm in the work to improve dynastyfootballwarehouse.com

Jaysports
Admin

Postby Jaysports » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:33 pm

Timothyfurl wrote:I envy your enthusiasm in the work to improve dynastyfootballwarehouse.com

:dance:
Just one of the Guys

DFW48 - Starters

Palmer (Dalton)
AP, Freeman (Zeke)
Reed (Fleener)

Founder / CEO
Twitter @Jaysports_DFW
Follow DFW on Facebook

Jaysports
Admin

Postby Jaysports » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:26 pm

Make sure to stop on by and tell us a little bit about ya if you haven't done so already! ;)
Just one of the Guys

DFW48 - Starters

Palmer (Dalton)
AP, Freeman (Zeke)
Reed (Fleener)

Founder / CEO
Twitter @Jaysports_DFW
Follow DFW on Facebook

All about TD's
All-American

Postby All about TD's » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:10 pm

I'm sure my bio will sound somewhat lackluster as a few of you have been playing ff longer than I've been alive lol. I was born and raised in a small town you've never heard of in Arkansas. Since we don't have any pro sports teams in Arkansas I grew up a die hard Razorbacks fan and still am. My dad was a Cowboy fan so on Sunday's we watched the Cowboys so naturally I followed in his footsteps and become a fan (love them or hate them I've heard all the jokes). Since I was born in '91, I don't really remember the glory days of the early 90's and have come accustomed to the 8-8 seasons and missing the playoffs so this year has been great and I'm hoping for a deep playoff run. I was introduced to ff in college by a friend 3 years ago and after coming in second in my first redraft league on ESPN I was hooked. Next year I was in 9 ESPN redraft leagues and couldn't get enough. Last year (this season) I was introduced to the dynasty aspect of ff taking over an orphan team that was in great shape. I ended up winning the league my first year in and now looking to build a true dynasty and win multiple championships in a row

Jaysports
Admin

Postby Jaysports » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:05 pm

All about TD's wrote:I'm sure my bio will sound somewhat lackluster as a few of you have been playing ff longer than I've been alive lol. I was born and raised in a small town you've never heard of in Arkansas. Since we don't have any pro sports teams in Arkansas I grew up a die hard Razorbacks fan and still am. My dad was a Cowboy fan so on Sunday's we watched the Cowboys so naturally I followed in his footsteps and become a fan (love them or hate them I've heard all the jokes). Since I was born in '91, I don't really remember the glory days of the early 90's and have come accustomed to the 8-8 seasons and missing the playoffs so this year has been great and I'm hoping for a deep playoff run. I was introduced to ff in college by a friend 3 years ago and after coming in second in my first redraft league on ESPN I was hooked. Next year I was in 9 ESPN redraft leagues and couldn't get enough. Last year (this season) I was introduced to the dynasty aspect of ff taking over an orphan team that was in great shape. I ended up winning the league my first year in and now looking to build a true dynasty and win multiple championships in a row

Great stuff and glad you were able to transition to dynasty, there's no turning back now. Thanks for sharing and I hope you stick around as there is so much to learn from our hardcore dynasty crew here!
Just one of the Guys

DFW48 - Starters

Palmer (Dalton)
AP, Freeman (Zeke)
Reed (Fleener)

Founder / CEO
Twitter @Jaysports_DFW
Follow DFW on Facebook

Return to “Dynasty Warehouse Discussion”