Trade Deadlines

General Dynasty Discussion
Dobby

Trade Deadlines

Postby Dobby » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:03 am

Whats the purpose of a tradedeadline? Do you like early ones? Late ones? Non at all...

Would like to hear some opinions on this one
DFWIDP36 - Wichita´s Hall of Fame Squad
QB: Wilson,Teddy
RB : Gurley,Bell,Hill,Langford,McKinnon,Cobb
WR: Green,Dez,Julio,Matthews,Parker,TWill,Crabtree
TE: Jimmy
DL: Campbell,M.Johnson
LB: David,Laurinaitis,Davis,Lee
DB: Coleman,Mitchell

buddhaumd
Bench Player

Re: Trade Deadlines

Postby buddhaumd » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:31 am

In dynasty, I prefer late ones, but a deadline I think is important. The whole reasoning is to prevent an owner with no dog left in the fight trading away key assets on the cheap. Dynasty obviously its a little different since moves must be looked at with long term value in mind not a few weeks.
QB: Brees-Wentz
RB: Gurley-D.Murray-Bernard-Powell-K.Hunt-J.Williams-McGuire-Hood
WR:K.Allen-Moncrief-Ty.Williams-J.Brown-Funchess-Godwin-M.Lee-Treadwell-M.Mitchell-C.Hogan
TE: Ebron-Witten

the_captain
Writer

Postby the_captain » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:16 pm

I don't mind having the deadline at the start of the playoffs but otherwise I favor none at all. I don't care for the idea of cutting off trades after week 10 which seems pretty commonplace. It makes zero sense in a dynasty league.

jordanzs

Postby jordanzs » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:29 pm

I like a trade deadline to start a week or so before the playoffs.

If I'm facing an opponent in week 15 of the playoffs, I don't want them to be able to trade away peanuts for a good starter that week (like throwing a 3rd round pick for anquan Boldin if golden Tate gets injured let's say). That's a resource and tactic that I don't want to have to deal with. Once the playoffs start.....you just power though them with the players that got you there or guys that you grab from the waiver wire.
DFW48: The Human Centipedes
QBs: Rothlesberger, Winston
RBs: Leveon, David Johnson, Lacy, Rawls
WRs: ARob, Dez, Alshon, Landry, Baldwin, Hurns, Boyd, Hogan
TEs: Eifert, Gates, Cameron.
DST: Seattle

thedream9
Hall of Fame

Postby thedream9 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:51 pm

It's a tough one as I can see the argument made both for and against.
Having a deadline hurts a team that is looking to rebuild. However, not having one can create total chaos all the way to the championship.

I personally prefer to have the deadline at kickoff of the playoffs. This gives the fringe teams who barely missed a chance to cash in some vets for max value and begin the rebuild process. Also this prevents teams who lose in the first round from turning around and trading all their guys to the team who just beat them.
10-team .5 PPR
Ben, Carr, Stafford
Gurley, Fournette, Mixon, Hill, Henry, Crowell, Lynch, AP
AJG, Keenan, Watkins, DT, Jordy, moncrief, Doctson, Floyd, Dorsett, Carroo, JJ Nelson
NJoku, Cook

the_captain
Writer

Postby the_captain » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:58 pm

jordanzs wrote:If I'm facing an opponent in week 15 of the playoffs, I don't want them to be able to trade away peanuts for a good starter that week (like throwing a 3rd round pick for anquan Boldin if golden Tate gets injured let's say). That's a resource and tactic that I don't want to have to deal with. Once the playoffs start.....you just power though them with the players that got you there or guys that you grab from the waiver wire.

It isn't giving anyone an advantage, though... You have the same opportunity.

jordanzs

Postby jordanzs » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:53 pm

Right....but I don't think that either of us should have that opportunity.

Dobby

Postby Dobby » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:55 pm

the_captain wrote:
jordanzs wrote:If I'm facing an opponent in week 15 of the playoffs, I don't want them to be able to trade away peanuts for a good starter that week (like throwing a 3rd round pick for anquan Boldin if golden Tate gets injured let's say). That's a resource and tactic that I don't want to have to deal with. Once the playoffs start.....you just power though them with the players that got you there or guys that you grab from the waiver wire.

Strong teams have more amunition to make necessary last minute moves without crippling their dynasty too much I think

jordanzs

Postby jordanzs » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:56 pm

Dobby wrote:
the_captain wrote:

Strong teams have more amunition to make necessary last minute moves without crippling their dynasty too much I think

I almost think this gives advantage to a weaker team.

You could be David and going against Goliath in the championship. Goliath is already that strong team. Maybe he's got Brees as his QB and set everywhere else. He doesn't need to make moves.

But you could then level the playing field by trading a 2nd round pick in week 16 for someone like Palmer who might have a cakewalk match against Cleveland. Now the playing field is even.

This could be taken 1 step further. What if owner C doesn't want Goliath to win, so he hands over a plug and play piece on the cheap to David to help him compete?

If I'm Goliath, I don't like that. Meet me in the championships without outside interference.

thedream9
Hall of Fame

Postby thedream9 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:31 pm

jordanzs wrote:
Dobby wrote:
the_captain wrote:

I almost think this gives advantage to a weaker team.

You could be David and going against Goliath in the championship. Goliath is already that strong team. Maybe he's got Brees as his QB and set everywhere else. He doesn't need to make moves.

But you could then level the playing field by trading a 2nd round pick in week 16 for someone like Palmer who might have a cakewalk match against Cleveland. Now the playing field is even.

This could be taken 1 step further. What if owner C doesn't want Goliath to win, so he hands over a plug and play piece on the cheap to David to help him compete?

If I'm Goliath, I don't like that. Meet me in the championships without outside interference.

Agree with this thinking completely Jordan. If I'm one of the top teams, chances are there is little I can do to improve my lineup. Not having a deadline helps the teams that barely got in way more than it does the teams who are already dominant.
10-team .5 PPR
Ben, Carr, Stafford
Gurley, Fournette, Mixon, Hill, Henry, Crowell, Lynch, AP
AJG, Keenan, Watkins, DT, Jordy, moncrief, Doctson, Floyd, Dorsett, Carroo, JJ Nelson
NJoku, Cook

jordanzs

Postby jordanzs » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:50 pm

If I was a weaker team and I somehow stumbled my way into a championship game versus Goliath, you can bet your ass that I would be working that trade floor trying to put together a mercenary list of week 16 matchup-based plug and plays.

It's not fair for me to be able to do that.

the_captain
Writer

Postby the_captain » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:40 pm

I just think you are overthinking it. I've seen last minute trades but there don't have the kind of game changing impact you are suggesting. I view it as an opportunity for a non-playoff team to get fair value for someone who otherwise is just wasting roster space.

Dobby

Postby Dobby » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:46 pm

the_captain wrote:I just think you are overthinking it. I've seen last minute trades but there don't have the kind of game changing impact you are suggesting. I view it as an opportunity for a non-playoff team to get fair value for someone who otherwise is just wasting roster space.

Then you should´ve seen some of the trades involving major dynasty assets that went down in the two big DFW leagues. Pretty might right till the deadline.

jordanzs

Postby jordanzs » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:43 am

the_captain wrote:I just think you are overthinking it. I've seen last minute trades but there don't have the kind of game changing impact you are suggesting. I view it as an opportunity for a non-playoff team to get fair value for someone who otherwise is just wasting roster space.

Whenever the trade deadline is, whether it be at week 10, week 11, week 12, etc.....right before the fun fires, you see a flurry of activity. Like it kicks owners in the ass to make those sort of win win moves. It's actually kind of exciting when the pressure of the hard cap deadline approaches. I start text message negotiating.

Removing a trade deadline would take away that pressure situation. That's not fun. :D

jordanzs

Postby jordanzs » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:49 am

Dobby wrote:

Then you should´ve seen some of the trades involving major dynasty assets that went down in the two big DFW leagues. Pretty might right till the deadline.

Ok, since you were one of the 1st on the email chain after mine & illegalfacemask's trade, what are your thoughts on me giving up Alan Robinson for the 1.2 equivalent (or 1.1 if any of the 4 picks before take Cook over Fournette)?

How does that trade sway the playoffs?

Tyler Durden and I are 2 of the top ranked teams in the league. We are in the same conference and have a collision course in week 16 assuming we can both win in week 15.

I see no chance of Durden starting ARob. But I'm daring him to play him against me. He won't though as he's loaded with WRs that produce in 2016.

In my eyes the only effect on the trading away Arob is that it'll strengthen my points as I won't be tempted to start him anymore. And with that being said, gimme fournette or cook next yeAr, they can ride the pine and learn from DJohnson & Leveon.

Return to “Dynasty Warehouse Discussion”