Are fantasy analysts sleeping on Cooks?

General Dynasty Discussion
UNCProfesh
All-American
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:18 am
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Are fantasy analysts sleeping on Cooks?

Postby UNCProfesh » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:45 pm

One of the most common talk items has been how Cooks will disappear in a crowded Pats WR corps...

Am I crazy to think that Cooks is head and shoulders better than the other WRs around him and will cause a major target share shift in the Pats scheme? Of course there's Gronk who will demand a big share, but as good as Edelman has been in production with Brady, I just can't see how Cooks doesn't easily supplant him. Their efficiency ratings couldn't be more polar opposite and Cooks is by far the superior athlete.

Today's first scrimmage gave some reason to support my intuitions. Cooks dominated with 7 catches and 3 TDs. He's developing a rapport with Brady and it's just a matter of time until Cooks gets a heavy target load.

Tho his ADP remains around where it was last year, he's often taken a major hit in the rankings. Begs the question, where's the love?
0.5 PPR 0.05 rtrn yd
Brady,Carr
L.Bell, Gurley, Lynch, Mixon, CJ Anderson, Crowell,
AJG,M. Thomas,B. Cooks,T. Hill, Watkins, Golladay, Zay Jones, K.White
WR/TE elig Kelce, Henry
L.Kuechly, K.Alexander, Jatavis Brown
K.Mack
K. Joseph
Gostkowski

User avatar
the_captain
Writer
Posts: 5655
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 11:10 am

Re: Are fantasy analysts sleeping on Cooks?

Postby the_captain » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:17 pm

UNCProfesh wrote:Am I crazy to think that Cooks is head and shoulders better than the other WRs around him and will cause a major target share shift in the Pats scheme?


Not crazy. Probably more like to his waist than his shoulders. Cooks projects extremely well in that offense and should lead in all receiving categories unless Gronk is healthy all season (unlikely) to get TDs.

UNCProfesh
All-American
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:18 am
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Are fantasy analysts sleeping on Cooks?

Postby UNCProfesh » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:33 pm

the_captain wrote:Cooks projects extremely well in that offense and should lead in all receiving categories unless Gronk is healthy all season (unlikely) to get TDs.


That's exactly my thoughts too. I listen to a lot of podcasts and it seems like the trendy thing to say about Cooks is too many mouths to feed. They have him rated as a low fourth early fifth rounder which to me seems ridiculous for a guy coming off back to back 1100 yd seasons, heading into an offense more tailor made for him than the Saints. Don't get me wrong, both were great situations. But to me...it looks like he will be able to exploit Brady's strengths more than any other WR out there. Could mean a huge season
0.5 PPR 0.05 rtrn yd
Brady,Carr
L.Bell, Gurley, Lynch, Mixon, CJ Anderson, Crowell,
AJG,M. Thomas,B. Cooks,T. Hill, Watkins, Golladay, Zay Jones, K.White
WR/TE elig Kelce, Henry
L.Kuechly, K.Alexander, Jatavis Brown
K.Mack
K. Joseph
Gostkowski

buddhaumd
Bench Player
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:45 pm

Re: Are fantasy analysts sleeping on Cooks?

Postby buddhaumd » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:33 pm

I think Brees is a much better deep ball thrower and in line with Cooks skill set. That being said, I'd think hard about Cooks in the 3rd RD but wouldn't do a top-10 WR pick.
QB: Brees-Wentz
RB: Gurley-D.Murray-Bernard-Powell-K.Hunt-J.Williams-McGuire-Hood
WR:K.Allen-Moncrief-Ty.Williams-J.Brown-Funchess-Godwin-M.Lee-Treadwell-M.Mitchell-C.Hogan
TE: Ebron-Witten

UNCProfesh
All-American
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:18 am
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Are fantasy analysts sleeping on Cooks?

Postby UNCProfesh » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:20 pm

buddhaumd wrote:I think Brees is a much better deep ball thrower and in line with Cooks skill set. That being said, I'd think hard about Cooks in the 3rd RD but wouldn't do a top-10 WR pick.


Though I think he can be a deep threat at times, I don't actually think of Cooks as that type of receiver. Some of his biggest gains on TDs were on short slant routes that he found open field and ran the distance with it instead of deep passing TDs. I think his route tree is a lot more like a super version of Wes Welker than a Desean Jackson type (which of course plays right into Brady's strengths).
0.5 PPR 0.05 rtrn yd
Brady,Carr
L.Bell, Gurley, Lynch, Mixon, CJ Anderson, Crowell,
AJG,M. Thomas,B. Cooks,T. Hill, Watkins, Golladay, Zay Jones, K.White
WR/TE elig Kelce, Henry
L.Kuechly, K.Alexander, Jatavis Brown
K.Mack
K. Joseph
Gostkowski

buddhaumd
Bench Player
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:45 pm

Re: Are fantasy analysts sleeping on Cooks?

Postby buddhaumd » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:49 am

UNCProfesh wrote:
buddhaumd wrote:I think Brees is a much better deep ball thrower and in line with Cooks skill set. That being said, I'd think hard about Cooks in the 3rd RD but wouldn't do a top-10 WR pick.


Though I think he can be a deep threat at times, I don't actually think of Cooks as that type of receiver. Some of his biggest gains on TDs were on short slant routes that he found open field and ran the distance with it instead of deep passing TDs. I think his route tree is a lot more like a super version of Wes Welker than a Desean Jackson type (which of course plays right into Brady's strengths).


He had that one TD vs OAK where he was inside their own 20, just beat his man off the line and Brees dropped it over his shoulder on a 30 yd pass which Cooks took to the house. I agree with that. The guy is dynamic, and Brady is a HOF, he'll get the ball to him.

Who would you take Cooks over? Thomas, Bryant, Cooper?
QB: Brees-Wentz
RB: Gurley-D.Murray-Bernard-Powell-K.Hunt-J.Williams-McGuire-Hood
WR:K.Allen-Moncrief-Ty.Williams-J.Brown-Funchess-Godwin-M.Lee-Treadwell-M.Mitchell-C.Hogan
TE: Ebron-Witten

UNCProfesh
All-American
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:18 am
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: Are fantasy analysts sleeping on Cooks?

Postby UNCProfesh » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:03 pm

buddhaumd wrote:
UNCProfesh wrote:
buddhaumd wrote:I think Brees is a much better deep ball thrower and in line with Cooks skill set. That being said, I'd think hard about Cooks in the 3rd RD but wouldn't do a top-10 WR pick.


Though I think he can be a deep threat at times, I don't actually think of Cooks as that type of receiver. Some of his biggest gains on TDs were on short slant routes that he found open field and ran the distance with it instead of deep passing TDs. I think his route tree is a lot more like a super version of Wes Welker than a Desean Jackson type (which of course plays right into Brady's strengths).


He had that one TD vs OAK where he was inside their own 20, just beat his man off the line and Brees dropped it over his shoulder on a 30 yd pass which Cooks took to the house. I agree with that. The guy is dynamic, and Brady is a HOF, he'll get the ball to him.

Who would you take Cooks over? Thomas, Bryant, Cooper?


It depends on redraft or dynasty in terms of rankings. In dynasty, I'd take Cooks over Dez due to major age difference. I think Michael Thomas is a more sure fire bet for top 5 ability. Cooper and Cooks are more of a wash. I'm a Raiders fan and would like Cooper for that reason, but fantasy wise, it would not shock me in the least if Cooks becomes a more valuable asset than Cooper. That said, I love all of the ones you mentioned. I think Cooks can be had right now at slightly less cost than his true value. The other guys are going where they should be (except for maybe Cooper who's going a bit too high). I would happily take Cooks over guys like DHop, ARob, DT, Jeffery, even TY Hilton, and for dynasty over Jordy and Baldwin (not redraft tho).
0.5 PPR 0.05 rtrn yd
Brady,Carr
L.Bell, Gurley, Lynch, Mixon, CJ Anderson, Crowell,
AJG,M. Thomas,B. Cooks,T. Hill, Watkins, Golladay, Zay Jones, K.White
WR/TE elig Kelce, Henry
L.Kuechly, K.Alexander, Jatavis Brown
K.Mack
K. Joseph
Gostkowski

Ice
Moderator
Posts: 4930
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:23 am

Re: Are fantasy analysts sleeping on Cooks?

Postby Ice » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:06 pm

Cooks is far closer to D. Jackson than Randy Moss.

Temper your expectations. The Pats play system offense. Brady is Great but their interior line is a bit suspect to rely on a ton of deep balls.

Edelman and Gronk will get theirs.

Cooks is intriguing but consistency is a legit concern.

User avatar
gglass24
Madden Cover
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 8:08 am
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Re: Are fantasy analysts sleeping on Cooks?

Postby gglass24 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:55 am

I agree with Ice. Gronk will get his and Edleman is a better route runner than Cooks. I think Cooks will be fine, but there is certainly no guarantee he will be better than the third option.
You can't fix stupid.


Return to “Dynasty Warehouse Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Sponsors
  • Buy a trophy for your league at ParadiseAwards.com