Replacement Refs; Opinions after Week 1

General Dynasty Discussion

How would you grade the replacement refs' Week 1 performance?

No difference
14%
Mildly annoying
57%
Fail - these guys suck
29%
Epic fail - games are becoming unwatchable
No votes

Total votes: 14

Ram
Mascot

Replacement Refs; Opinions after Week 1

Postby Ram » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm conducting a scientific survey in advance of my "September RAMpage" article and wanted to include the thoughts of the DFW braintrust. So feel free to vote in the survey and then please let your voices be heard on the replacement refs week 1 performance in the comments section below. If there are gems I will include them in this month's article.

So let the internets shake with the replies!

Bert and Ernie

Re: Replacement Refs; Opinions after Week 1

Postby Bert and Ernie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:49 pm

I voted no difference simply because we'd find something to complain about even with the best refs out there. Sure these guys weren't as good as the regulars, but not really more annoying.

roadwarrior

Postby roadwarrior » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:14 pm

I'm having no problems with our 'new' refs. The problem I'm having is the announcers (calling Joe Buck) having to bring it up on every flag! I say keep the refs and get rid of Buck.

Gambler
Madden Cover

Postby Gambler » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:04 pm

They miss a few calls...but the old refs did also. I honestly don't care if the other guys ever come back. These ones will continue to get better as they accumulate games.

Burgandy
Admin

Postby Burgandy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:07 pm

I agree with everyone here. What really pissed me off is the announcers making a mountain out of every ref huddle. There are ref huddles every game. Yeah, you could tell they weren't the normal guys, but by week 6 nobody will notice. Sucks to be the regular refs IMO.
Owner/ Senior Writer at- http://www.dynastyfootballwarehouse.com
Follow my on twitter at @Dan_DFW
Check out DFW on Facebook

ravage

Postby ravage » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:38 pm

I agree with a couple of things the announcers for every game seemed to make a lot out of the officials often when there was nothing there. At the same time there were some troubling times. All refs miss calls unfortunately that will never change because humans can't see everywhere or everything.

In the games I watched there was only one that troubled me a lot.

I thought the Dallas/NYG game went pretty well, not a lot to see if you were trying to critical of the officiating.

In the Chi/Indy game still not a lot to see but I did notice flags coming in, at times, much later than a regular crew but overall a passable job.

The SD/Oak game looked fairly decent too.

The one game that I watched that the officials just didn't do a competant job was the SF/GB game. First seems most of you know I'm a Packer fan I do not blame the officiating for the Packers loss SF played better than GB, no doubt in my mind about that.

This game seemed to be filled with very late flags so late that at least one play went for the duration even though it should have been stopped immediately for movement on the OL. Picking up the flag on Cobb's punt return TD was bad but I can see the point if the refs were trying to flag the first replay shown on TV. There was tons of contact both ways downfield, a lot more than is allowed by regular refs. Bad or good I don't know but it was there. When an O-lineman can move almost a step and a half to two steps back before the ball is hiked and there is no call that is just not normal.

Overall I think the replacement did pretty good but hopefully the SF/GB crew gets a review of the rules this week. They need it.

Kilroy

Postby Kilroy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:56 am

I wanted to vote "slight difference," but since that wasn't an option I had to go with "mildly annoying."

If it weren't for that messed up time-out situation in the Cardinals-Seahawks game then I would have said no difference. That said, it's only one week in the books.

The refs are lucky that messed up time-out situation didn't result in a Seahawks victory though or things would've been much uglier.

Thurmans Hermit
Pro Bowler

Postby Thurmans Hermit » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:29 am

I voted mildly annoying. Both because of the announcers, but also because it's still not quite right. While all refs will miss calls, these guys still aren't quite ready. Having said that, the same guy who did the Giants game did one of the Sunday or Monday night games. That crew did a pretty good job imo.

Ram
Mascot

Postby Ram » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:17 pm

I'm wondering if after last night's craptacular game anyone wants to change their votes?

ravage

Postby ravage » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:05 pm

Week 2 was a definite downgrade from week 1. Some of the games where close to out of control. The contact downfield reminded me of the 70s.

I'd have to say while maybe not a fail, as some games were well done, a general grade of D would be deserved.

CarlZabel
Pro Bowler

Postby CarlZabel » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:41 pm

ravage wrote:Week 2 was a definite downgrade from week 1. Some of the games where close to out of control. The contact downfield reminded me of the 70s.

I'd have to say while maybe not a fail, as some games were well done, a general grade of D would be deserved.

I agree. From the games I saw this weekend, it was definitely worse than week 1. Their is no consistency in the pass interference calls and downfield contact. I also saw a lot of games get awful "chippy." It seems like the players are definitely pushing the limits as to what they can get away with downfield and after the whistle. I think the Monday Night game was the icing on the cake. That 1st half was absolutely ridiculous. If the NFL wants to keep their "image," I think it is in their best interest to get the regular officials back ASAP.

Return to “Dynasty Warehouse Discussion”